More kids are going to the ER for swallowing 'button' batteries, study finds. Why that's really dangerous

August 31, 2022

USA Today

More than 84% of patients were under 5, and “button” batteries accounted for nearly 85% of the emergency room visits.

Lithium button batteries are one of the most dangerous objects for a child to swallow, a “true medical emergency,” said Dr. Rade Vukmir, a spokesman for the American College of Emergency Physicians and a professor of clinical medicine at Drexel University.

If the batteries get stuck in a child’s throat, the saliva triggers an electric current causing a chemical burn that can severely damage the esophagus. That can happen in as little as two hours after ingestion and lead to perforation, vocal cord paralysis or airway erosion.

Click here to read the full article.

Read more In the News

In the News Public Education
CHAT NOW
CHAT OFFLINE