Mom shares warning after son, 9, dies of carbon monoxide poisoning on lake trip

September 27, 2020

Today.com

"Any type of combustion engine has the risk for exposure to carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas which displaces oxygen on the cells, basically suffocating the person," emergency physician Dr. Ryan Stanton told TODAY. "Mufflers are designed to shunt these gasses away from the passenger compartment. Any disruption in the system or leak can expose occupants to the gasses. Children are more susceptible to these gasses."

Stanton said the back of the boat is the highest risk area since in most boats, this is the location of the exhaust.

"Carbon monoxide emergencies can be avoided but detecting symptoms can be challenging. It's very important to know the symptoms, and wherever you can, have detectors. Boat, vehicle or home owners should take steps to ensure clean air circulation."

Click here to read the full article.

Read more In the News

Read more Know When to Go

Accidents & Injury In the News Know When to Go
CHAT NOW
CHAT OFFLINE